May 21, 2023
How To Dye Your Clothes With Food Waste
Have you been throwing away those precious peels and scraps from your daily cooking? Well, time to stop considering them as worthless waste because they can now give a sartorial revamp to your clothes!
How, you ask? We have discovered three easy-breezy ways to give colours to your plain whites and faded tints, and the secret ingredient for that is - drum roll, please - Food scrap!
Yes, you heard that right! So next time don't just dump those onion skins or avocado pits, let them become colour into your wardrobe instead!
First step, select which colour you would like to create.
- 1 bunch of beetroots
- 1 cup of vinegar
- 1 tablespoon turmeric (ground)
- 2 cups yellow onion skins
- 5 dark avocado skins
Now, follow the direction below to dye your clothes.
- First, dampen your fabric or clothes (white works best)
- Boil 10 cups of water in a large pot
- Add food scrap ingredients into the pot and let it simmer for 25 minutes
- Remove straps from the pot of water
- Now, dip in your fabric of clothes and simmer in the water for 25 minutes
- After the simmer is complete, remove the clothes or fabric and pour over cold water. However, if you want a deeper colour leave in the pot overnight.
- Hang until dry, and your fabric or clothes will be ready to use.