Let's be honest we have all fallen victim to the ‘Kmart curse’. Walking into the store to buy one thing and leaving with a handful of non-essential products. There is a thrill about buying something new, but we should stop and ask ourselves "What is the long term impact of this product? Do I really need this?"
Unfortunately, convenience is overriding the planet and when customers hear the word ‘sustainable’ they instantly think expensive.
In order to play our part, we are breaking down this stigma surrounding ‘sustainable’ and sharing our eight most cost-effective products that will reduce your environmental footprint.
1. Replace cling-wrap with beeswax wraps. This alternative will not only keep your avocado fresher for longer, but it also only takes two years to break down, compared to cling wrap which takes 1000.
2. Ditch shampoo bottles for bars. At first we thought it was a strange concept, but shampoo bars are a sustainable bathroom necessity. Suitable for all types of hair, one bar is equivalent to 3.5 x 300ml shampoo bottles.
3. Remove the tea bag. We know tea bags only take 90 days to breakdown in landfill, but let's remove this extra waste and swap out the bags for loose leaf tea.
4. Can the dry shampoo can. Aerosol cans continuously add to our air pollution. Even though we love using dry shampoo, make the swap from the ‘can’ to powder to reduce the atmosphere’s greenhouse gases.
5. Keep your cup. One billion takeaway coffee cups get dumped in landfill each year and take 50 years to decompose. Switch up your morning routine by taking a keep cup with you to the local cafe.
6. Instead of putting your fruit and veg in plastic, use produce bags instead.
7. Trade your Kleenex for unbleached, unwrapped bamboo toilet paper. 100% biodegradable, responsibly sourced, and sustainable. The healthiest toilet paper for you!
8. Don’t forget cotton! Plastic is not the only single use product in our lives that we should replace. Even though our cotton balls are made from natural fibres, they still take five months to breakdown in landfill. We suggest reusable face wipes instead.
Next time you are shopping, keep these items in mind. If we are more conscious about the products we consume in our daily-lives, we can make a dramatic difference for our planet.